Friday, May 4, 2018

Interviewing My Dad

This blog is a bit different than my others. I got the chance to help my dad tell his story and I couldn't be more thankful. I'm so honored to be able to share his story with you and hopefully inspire others facing the same or similar situations.
1. Who are you?
"Andrew Weatherford"
2. Where are you from?
"Originally Greenville, SC. I live in the Dacusville community of Easley, SC."
3. Tell me about yourself.
"Growing up in Greenville, I attended Carolina High School. I was active in the youth group at Oakcrest Baptist Church. Most of my friends were church kids, but I was also a friend to anyone. I would sometimes sit with the popular kids and sometimes the non-popular. I just loved being with people in general."
4. What do you do for a living?
"I am a Funeral Director and Embalmer."
5. How long did it take you to get where you are in life? (with your career)
"My career has been and still is developing for 27+ years now. My career is a calling. When I first had the thoughts of Funeral Directing, I wanted nothing to do with it. A month later I was out of work and sitting in church. I felt God impress upon me to enter funeral service and prayerfully I said "Okay God, if this is what you want me to do then open the door and clearly show me". I then talked to a Funeral Director friend and before our conversation was over my friend said, "By the way, we need help".  I prayerfully said "Okay God, I'll do it" and from there things fell into place. Things went well to start, but it got tough. Throughout my career I have stepped away from my calling--and during those times I failed miserably. Sometimes I stepped away because I didn't want to be away from my wife and children; being away from them tormented me. Other times I just had trouble dealing with inconvenience of missing church, working late nights, weekends, and holidays. Sometimes it was constantly hearing crying and sadness at work. It has taken God putting me on my spiritual back to make me look up and put Him back in the center of my life, ahead of family and my own desires."
6. What is your biggest passion?
"My biggest passion, I would say, is people in general. It's about God first, others next, myself last. Art and painting is also another big passion. If I can just paint a painting that people can look at and find themselves caught up in, to where they can forget about their problems for just a few minutes, if they will just get a minutes relief and find joy and pleasure. That's what I want, to make people's life better in some way."
 7. What do you believe God's calling is for your life?
"I believe I'm doing God's calling career wise, but God's calling for me is also to somehow better the lives of others."
8. When did He reveal this to you?
"In 1993, sitting in a church business meeting."
9. How long have you known that the funeral business was your purpose?
"25 years."
10. What did you grow up expecting to end up doing?
"Youth minister or pastor."
11. What made you realize that that wasn't for you?
"I just couldn't get a peace about it."
12. What took you so long to realize that the funeral business was for you?
"Selfishness."
13. What's been the hardest thing you've faced throughout everything?
"Denying myself."
14. Now that you have realized your purpose, what are you most excited about?
"Just the inner peace of knowing that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do."
15. What's the biggest struggle you face in life?
"My biggest struggle is confidence, afraid of messing up, afraid of letting people down, afraid to let myself down."
16. How have you learned to overcome this struggle?
"I haven't overcome this, it's a daily process."
17. What motivates you to keep going when everything is telling you to stop?
"My faith in God keeps me going. If and when I sway from God keeping me going, failure is just a short place away."
18. What is the biggest thing that God has revealed to you about yourself through everything you've faced?
"God has revealed that it's about Him, not me. It's about people, not me. I must, I have to be last. It doesn't mean that I'm not important, it's just about priority. It's about servanthood. I'm important to God, I know that, but God's plans and ways are far greater than mine."
19. If you could give someone who is facing or struggling with something you've dealt with advice, what would it be?
"Don't be selfish with your calling, your time, your family, with people or yourself. I would say, anything worth having only comes with great sacrifice. Don't let money or things motivate you. It is, and should always be God, family, others, self, in that order. Selfishness and greed always lead to destruction of relationships, careers, and success. Again, God always first, family, others, self."



This was a really cool experience for me as I got to learn more about my dad and see God Work through him. His story is quite a story and I think everyone can benefit from it and take something away. Thanks to my dad for allowing me to be a part of this and to share this using my passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment